E-MARCOT AIMS for a 3 year program to complete the in-depth preliminary design.
The full MARCOT roadmap proposes five major milestones:
- Multi Mode Fiber –Photonic Lantern (MMF-PL) development. We propose the development and optimization of MMF-PL, the characterization of MMF-PL in the lab.
- MARCOT-Pathfinder prototype validation, on-sky testing with the MMF-PL.
- Conceptual Design Study, including realistic cost estimates, as the blue-print for a first operational MARCOT implementation with a light collecting area equivalent to a monolithic 5m telescope. The modular concept of a large number of affordable telescope units has the benefits of low risk, scalability, and replicability.
- MARCOT module implementation of 5m.
- Full MARCOT of effective aperture 15m realization.
Milestones (1) through (3) are the expected deliverables from project submission to the Call HORIZON-INFRA-2022-DEV-01-01 (E-MARCOT DS project), (4) and (5) the envisaged future developments.
Project management and wokpackage leaders can be found in the Chart below: